Saturday, September 16, 2006

Comments? Anyone? Anyone At All?


For a long, long time, it seemed as if four to six people, max, were visiting my blog on a regular basis--my daughers Jul thumbscre.ws, Caer Coenister Caer's Donut Dungeon and Junket Mischievous Junket, a sweet lady with amazing spirit, Jo, at Tangled Me and maybe an occasional curious relative or two. Anyway, it was just the daughters and the sweet lady who were commenting, but that was OK 'cause I was just doing it as an exercise in reading/thinking/speaking/writing to preserve gray matter as I trudge inexorably toward my senior years.

Then Caer mentioned casually one day that she could track visitors to her blog with the aid of a site meter. She could tell how many people visited her blog and how they got there (search engine, referred from another site, wandered in by apparent mistake) and get quite a lot of free statistical information regarding the ebb and flow around her site. Seemed like a good idea at the time, so I signed up fer free and was able to track the four people who visited my blog regularly and the one or two random strangers who stumbled in about once a month looking for lyrics to Willie Nelson songs.

When Jul went through her separation from mr. thumbscre.ws and Caer broke up messily with exBf, a flurry of readership on their sites ensued. Jul's blog had been gaining a wide audience based solely on her astounding writing skills, and Caer's sweet/funny/aching tales of obsessive love gone feral started bringing in visitors like Free Can of Soda Day at WalMart. Junket and I watched our site meters in amazement as more and more people clicked over to our blogs from the links to us on Jul and Caer's sites.

Our statistics tore through the envelope and began orbiting the earth when Jul's estranged husband's mistress inexplicably decided to comment on her husband-stealing expertise on the site of a popular blogger friend of Jul's
(So Close: Would You Look Away, 05 Sept 2006). Comments from Jul's friends who were visiting the friend's site tore Miss Mistress apart like a careless capybara in an alligator-infested swamp. Co-Blogger Friend put up a second posting a few days later, following Steve Irwin's death, (So Close: Following Your Heart. A Question, 08 Sept 2006), and the carnage continued. Over 100 more commentors continued to rip the hapless mistress to shreds, and the site meters on all of the Related Gals' sites contined to spin out of control.

Since that time, things have settled down a lot. Caer took down her blog due to complications involving exBf's sharing knowledge of her site with people who really shouldn't have been exposed to it, Jul forged on with her adventures in wicked good writing, singlehood and peaceful co-existence with her soon-to-be ex for the sake of their child, and Junket and I watched our stats shrivel daily.

Now, Junket is an amazing writer on her own, and she will undoubtedly find her own level and own group of friends with her dark, poetic observations. But I cannot imagine this particular blog, Priscilla's Ramblings About Her Pet Rats and ShopRite Coupons, will ever again enjoy an audience of more than three daughters, one or two online friends and the occasional Willie Nelson fan.

*sound of wolves howling in the darkness*

But that's OK; the more I write, the more often I have to use
thesaurus. com. And I have to keep up with the basic html. That should keep the old gray matter jiggling.

*sound of tumbleweeds rustling*

This is a better way to spend time than if I were watching soap operas on t.v. or gossiping about nothing on the telephone for hours on end. Or obsessing about my memory loss. Or about the cats' hairball problems.

Comments? Anyone? Anyone At All?

*sound of an acorn hitting the shed*

OK... nevermind.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

I come here often. I found the four of you thru Julie at a lil pregnant, but I'm not big on commenting! For this one though I decided what the heck!! I love all four of you and hope that caer decides to keep blogging!!! See a comment wooohhoo
all the way from the hills of kentucky even!!

Priscilla Pseudonym said...

Aw, THANK YOU, dawn! Yep! All the way from KY, too!!!

When my kids were little, they were really, really into writing stories--pages and pages of stories. Writing was more exciting to them than any game they could play, and we went through many reams of paper to keep them supplied.

OK... I'll keep nattering away here, trusting there are people out there who like hearing about my little rancher filled with critters!

Anonymous said...

I'm here too, all the way from Ireland. I read all four of you most days and thoroughly enjoy all of the blogs. I often feel that to comment would be inappropriate (why would you feel that I have anything interesting/relevant to say about your life?) but maybe I'll start lobbing in the odd comment, to keep the tumbleweeds away! Keep writing, Mrs Pseudonym!

Jackie Paper said...

I can't stop laughing about the sound of the acorn hitting the shed! Ooh, and now I know who's viewing from Ireland! PENPALS, ANYONE?

Klynn said...

I don't stop by here as often, I admit. And this is my first comment here. But, you have raised a trio of amazingly eloquent daughters. Why would we not expect the same qualities from you? Keep writing. If you blog it, they will come. :-)

Anonymous said...

I have a link directly to your site in my favorites folder. Although I read all four of you, I only have you and Jul as a direct link. My organizational skills have been slack lately, and adding two more links might just blow what minimal organizing I have done way, way out of the water. I can't handle that right now, as I really only have time to read the blogs, not comment, and certainly not organize them! Keep it up, I would miss you otherwise!

Anonymous said...

Hello from Virginia! I never have anything witty to say, so dont comment much, but am out here in the ether and I read :)

Sarah said...

You rock! Keep writing! (but do so more often)

Jo said...

I come here often, you know that, but lately, um, for some reason, haven't had alot of time and energy for commenting! But I love the way you write and I KNOW where your ferocious daughters got their writing skills. Keep blogging Mama!

Anna said...

Yep, I came here via Tertia, but I'm staying for the acorns and the coupons.

Anonymous said...

Present.

lollyb said...

If it is comments you want, then comments you shall have. I've been reading your blog and your daugher's for a little while but I don't normally comment. I admire your talent and am humbled by all you ladies' writing. I felt that I didn't have anything interesting to say, and also that you probably don't want to hear from a complete stranger.
I will try to kibbutz more often.

Anonymous said...

I can't resist a request for comments, but unfortunately, I'm a terrible writer - so kinda, like, ummm, yeh, you and your daughters are like the Internet family I never had.

Keep writing, words are what separate us from the things that don't use them.

Priscilla Pseudonym said...

*grins*
*wipes tear from left eye*

It's so encouraging to know y'all are out there, even if you don't comment often! This gives me the motivation to keep writing, and I truly appreciate all the feedback above. I'm more than a little jealous of the girls' skills (and their fascinating lives), but maybe there's a place for all of us here.

OK...I'll stop begging for comments and get back to nattering away for posterity and the ages. Thanks so much, each and every one of you.

Anonymous said...

I know two of your daughters IRL, read all four blogs, but link to everybody through Jul because I'm lazy that way. The four of you are terrific writers and Jul is a total rock star.
There. Now do you mind knowing that I can't STAND Willie Nelson?

That one chick said...

I don't get much chance to read blogs with two little ones running around. But yours is on my list! I almost NEVER comment on blogs. I'm kinda shy and never feel liek I have anything witty oto offer. But just letting you know I'm here.

Anonymous said...

Hi Priscilla,

I too am impressed by your family's writing skills. I substitute teach in California and often lament the advent of the post literate society that most of my students have wholeheartedly signed up with - and I do mean signed as they cannot write. Did you know that most high school seniors cannot write cursive any more?
Would like to have your views of a weblog I have been reading: iblamethepatriarchy.
ivan - 15 miles inland from Ventura, California.

Anonymous said...

That's Kansas City, Missouri. It's a common, understandable misconception that Kansas City is in Kansas only, when really, only a small part of the city has the 913 area code. Which goes to show you what fools I'm surrounded by out here!
I adore your family - I hope to raise talented, eloquent children as you have. Brava for a job very well done. And hey Mama, you're not so bad yourself! Keep on blogging, it's a delight.

Anonymous said...

I'm a fellow mother of 3 daughters although mine are still under my complete control. I'm a transplanted Easterner - a little sarcasm helps me get through my wheaties. You have a great family.

Anonymous said...

Love your site and Jul's too. Just not a big commenter...but I'm here!!

Tertia said...

Just popping by to give you a quick smooch.

xxx